Friday, September 23, 2005

You Know What I Don't Get?


So you see all these horrific pictures of cars on the interstate going like 2 mph trying to get out of the way of Hurricane Rita, right?

DOES TEXAS NOT HAVE BACK ROADS???

Sorry, but just because somebody tells me to get the heck out of Dodge (and/or Houston), that doesn't mean that the interstate is the only mode of transportation out of town?!

Surely there's like a myriad of dirt, gravel, and pavcd country roads that simply CANNOT be congested like this, right? Or am I missing something? Personally, I would be turning my car into an ATB (All Terrain Beetle) and hoofing it through the uncharted territories of Texas before I would set foot on an interstate that's moving slower than a circus parade...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend Erin tried to take backroads and you can see her chronicled tale here:
http://www.treacle.net/wellnotes/
Lots of people tried the back roads, but darlin', there are a LOT of people in Houston and only so many ways to get out.
Texas Highways are still lacking in many areas...i.e. multiple routes out of major cities.
Just glad that I live in Dallas